Monday, April 6, 2015

Filling Gouges, Prepping to Put Back Together

Major repairs are complete. I did some minor hull touch-ups, then took the first steps toward putting things back together.
All during the epoxying sessions, I'd use any leftover dabs in the mixing cups to fill in major gouges, scratches and dents in the hull. With the last application of epoxy, I mixed a bit extra and added some colloidal silica filler to fill the last of them.
Another long gouge filled: the yellow streak just to left of center. Note also how the edges of the kevlar patch on the bottom amidships (at right) were smoothed over with a final application of unfilled epoxy to encapsulate any sharp fibers.
When all the epoxy was cured, I placed the canoe on the floor and placed the saddle in the bottom. Its location is pretty well defined, because the upper back edge wedges under the center thwart. Sitting on the seat, I placed the knee pads under my knees and moved them around until I found the position I liked best. I then traced around the saddle and the knee pads with pencil onto the hull. Removing all the rubber, I masked the traced areas and lightly sanded inside them. Then I removed the center thwart and placed the canoe back on horses above a space heater in preparation for applying contact cement.

No comments:

Post a Comment